Do you trust the healthcare system to provide YOU with the highest quality of care when you’re in need?
This is a crucial question—especially in a time of global pandemic—as medical mistrust is associated with negative health outcomes.
COVID-19 has illuminated the deep inequities in healthcare access and health outcomes by race, gender, socio-economic status, and place. The medical mistrust experienced by many people of color, particularly among Black and Latino/a/x communities, creates enormous barriers.
In this special episode of In Trust, we share the first of a special two-part conversation on Understanding and Addressing Medical Mistrust – expert panel discussions we recorded live at the end of 2020.
In this first conversation, you’ll learn about the origins of medical mistrust and the many ways it persists today.
Join us next week for part two where the conversation will focus on the multifaceted approaches needed to remedy.
Overview of Episode 19: Medical Mistrust From Past To Present
- Dr. Oni Blackstock｜Physician; Researcher; Founder and Executive Director, Health Justice
- Cynthia A. Gómez, PhD｜Professor Emerita, San Francisco State University
- Shawn Demmons, MPH｜Capacity Building Assistance Manager, UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health
- Shannon Weber, MSW｜Founder and Executive Director, PleasePrEPMe; Social Entrepreneur; Author
- Rick Kitagawa｜Co-Founder, Spotlight Trust
- More on the two-part conversation on Understanding and Addressing Medical Mistrust
- Watch this conversation on Spotlight Trust’s YouTube channel
- Medical Apartheid by Harriet Washington
- The US Public Health Service Syphilis Study at Tuskegee
- Public Responsibility in Medicine & Research (PRIM&R)
This episode sponsored by:
Building Trust at Scale: The Practical Playbook
Develop the mission-critical asset that sets amazing organizations apart: trust.
Get your FREE digital copy of Building Trust at Scale: The Practical Playbook.
This is a practical, actionable 20-page digital resource to help your team or organization build trust, the glue, lubricant, and accelerant to all our interactions.
In Trust podcast EP 20 - The Practical Path Forward Towards a Healthcare System that Deserves Our Trust Spotlight Trust™ | The future is trust.
[…] expert panel discussions we recorded live at the end of 2020. This follow-up conversation to last week’s episode explores the multifaceted approaches needed to remedy, and actions from small to big, individual to […]